Saturday, August 6, 2011

A Touch of Crimson by Sylvia Day

Can a love that transcends death survive a war between angels, vampires, and lycans?

We're about to find out!

A Touch of Crimson is the first book in the Renegade Angels trilogy and takes us on a journey that has spanned millennia. The trilogy chronicles the power struggles among Angels, Lycans, and Vampires as they vie for supremacy. It’s a story of love, loss, and love regained, only to be lost again.

Adrian Mitchell has been keeping Fallen Angels, AKA Vampires, in check for centuries. As head of an elite Special Ops Seraphim team, he’s a Sentinel respected for his ability to lead and keep things running smoothly. Lately however, there seems to be a change in the day to day operations of not only the “bad guys” but the “good guys” as well. If Adrian doesn’t do something about it soon, all Hell could break loose. Now that alone could make for a decent story, but add Lindsay to the mix – the reincarnation of the love of his life, a woman who has died over and over again at Adrian’s hand – and it becomes more than just good read, it’s a great story. Sacrifice or selfishness, it’s up to the reader to decide, but you have to be willing to hang tough through a slow start.

As can be the case with the first book of any new series/trilogy, I felt the story was bogged down by the necessary world building and character introduction, and while there are many things to love about this book, be forewarned, it takes a long time to get to them. I often found myself setting it aside after only reading a chapter or so, moving on to read something else and yet interested enough to keep coming back for more. It was about 25-30% of the way into the story before it really grabbed my attention and by about 40% of the way through I hard time putting it down.

Maybe it’s just my imagination, but there seems to be quite a few books coming out about Fallen Angels, Nephalim, Watchers, Vampires… all in one story. They happen to be my favorite PNR sub-genres, so I get excited when I find them all rolled into one story. In addition to those races listed, A Touch of Crimson also has Lycan, who are indentured - a nice word for well treated slaves - to the Sentinels, those angels who have not fallen - yet. I’m not usually a big shifter fan but the controversial alpha, Elijah, got my attention in a big way and he and his story alone will be enough to keep me reading this series.

The bottom line – this book is a good start to a promising trilogy. It was sexy, exciting, action packed and emotional, and I’ll definitely be reading the next book, A Hunger So Wild, Elijah’s story!

3.5/5

This book was provided to me by netgalley.com in behalf of Penguin Publishing. This had no influence whatsoever on my rating and review

No comments:

Post a Comment