Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Dark Blood (Carpathians (Dark) #26) by Christine Feehan

Blurb…

At long last you are truly back with us…

Zev Hunter was an elite warrior, a dark-blood dealer of death to rogue Lycans who preyed on mankind. He was a loner, never given to personal attachments, and damned fierce at his job. But Zev begins to question his past and his purpose when he awakens in the darkness of the sacred cave of warriors—and is soothed back to consciousness by the sensuously familiar voice of one woman, the woman who has haunted his fantasies for centuries. She was Branislava, member of the Dragonseeker clan…

Mother Earth called the ancients to witness your rebirth…

For this half-mage, half-Carpathian temptress, the ritual of awakening Zev to the council of warriors was the only way to save him. Locked away for his own protection, the time has now come for his rebirth, for his blood to stir with that of the ancient warriors before him. He has been assured by Branislava that their fates are entwined, that their spirits are woven together for eternity and that his new purpose in life is beyond imagining.

Now, with a blood-sworn vow of honor, mercy and endurance, and under the influence of a siren as bewitching as Branislava, Zev begins to wonder what his purpose is, what it means for the future of the Carpathians and what it is about his rebirth that he has to fear…


It was with no small amount of trepidation that I read this book, because I had seen reviews which were pretty harsh regarding the way the villians were revealed in Dark Blood, saying Ms. Feehan was grasping when she came up with this plot. Do I understand why people might feel that way? Yes, but I have to be honest – I completely disagree, and I am so glad I chose to take the chance and find out for myself.

Zev and Branislava’s story is exciting. It’s fast paced, loaded with twists and turns and more “holy cow I didn’t see that coming” moments than I can remember reading in a long time. Ms. Feehan continues to amaze me with her imagination. The magic, the spells, the creatures, beings, and people… I find myself re-reading these parts because they’re so well described and plotted out.

Speaking of the plot – these books really do have an underlying similarity in that they all focus on the survival of the various races and the destruction of the evil vampires. What really got to me about Dark Blood was how the subject of racism and prejudice between species was brought into the story and how very heartbreaking and poignant it was. “Ignorance is bliss”, some might say – but in this case ignorance is tragic. I shed a few tears there at the end but loved how this story made me feel.

Oh, so many feels!

No comments:

Post a Comment