Friday, May 24, 2013

First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones


This review discusses the audio book qualities, as well as the actual story.

On the Cover: Charley sees dead people. That’s right, she sees dead people. And it’s her job to convince them to “go into the light.” But when these very dead people have died under less than ideal circumstances (i.e. murder), sometimes they want Charley to bring the bad guys to justice. Complicating matters are the intensely hot dreams she’s been having about an Entity who has been following her all her life...and it turns out he might not be dead after all. In fact, he might be something else entirely.

*****

First Grave on the Right is the first book in Darynda Jones’s Charley Davidson series, and the world Ms. Jones has created is intriguing, exciting, and unique. I thoroughly enjoyed Lorelei King’s narration and her ability to give such distinctive voices to the many characters. She brings them to life with humor, passion, and a deeply profound poignancy that completely took me by surprise.

I’m a huge fan of paranormal romance, but lately I’ve not found much in the genre that grabs hold, keeps hold, and has me coming back for more. There’s just too much of the same old stuff out there, but that’s not the case here. I love the fact that Charley Davidson isn’t just a full time Grim Reaper, but she’s also a part-time PI who uses her “other-side” connections to help her solve cases. Of course there’s a lot of humor involved because no one else can see or hear the people and the voices that Charley can, but I was also blown away by the depth of emotion at points in the story.

And those who know me well know I wouldn’t have even given this book a second thought had there not been a love interest of some kind. And while I can’t call this a happily ever after romance – yet – there’s definitely something developing between Charley and the very hot, very tormented, otherworldly male named Reyes Farrow.

The bottom line: I’m absolutely thrilled with this story, and whether you read the book or listen to the audio version, I highly recommend it to fans of paranormal romance. It’s not too light, not too dark, and definitely sexy. And while there's no cliffhanger, it left me dying to find out what's going to happen next with Charley and Reyes!

2 comments:

  1. I love this series too, although I haven't tried to audiobooks. I'll put them on my wish list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed the audio. I had tried a couple before this, but this is the first I finished. I'm starting Pamela Clare's Skin Deep on audio this weekend!

      Delete