Monday, October 12, 2015

Walk Through Fire (Chaos #4) by Kristen Ashley

Millie Cross knows what it's like to burn for someone. She was young and wild and he was fierce and even wilder-a Chaos biker who made her heart pound. They fell in love at first sight and life was good, until she learned she couldn't be the woman he needed and made it so he had no choice but to walk away. Twenty years later, Millie's chance run-in with her old flame sparks a desire she just can't ignore. And this time, she won't let him ride off . . .

Bad boy Logan "High" Judd has seen his share of troubles with the law. Yet it was a beautiful woman who broke him. After ending a loveless marriage, High is shocked when his true love walks back into his life. Millie is still gorgeous, but she's just a ghost of her former self. High's intrigued at the change, but her betrayal cut him deep-and he doesn't want to get burned again. As High sinks into meting out vengeance for Millie's betrayal, he'll break all over again when he realizes just how Millie walked through fire for her man . . .

Walk Through Fire, the fourth installment of Kristen Ashley’s Chaos series, is such an emotionally gutting story. There were things I loved about it, things not so much. People I loved, other people not so much. But to say I was caught up in Millie and Logan’s story is putting it mildly, and I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to sort out all they made me feel.

I have to be honest – in previous books Logan and Millie flew so far under my radar that when their story came up my first reaction was, “who?” But for two people I knew very little about and had no interest in knowing more… I’m surprised how invested I became and how early that investment came.

And I will continue to be honest when I say that, in the beginning, I had a problem buying into the reason Millie abandoned Logan way back when. It’s a plot that, in my opinion, is too often used. That said – Kristen Ashley made it work for me by taking us deep into Millie’s heart – clear down to her soul – and showing us the depth of love she had for Logan. Her’s wasn’t a choice made in a moment of immature high drama, it was a gutting, life altering decision made by a woman who loved her man so much she would sacrifice her own happiness to give him a chance at his dreams. It worked, and it worked to the point I was nearly in tears.

As always, I loved, Loved, LOVED revisiting the Chaos family, but more than that I loved, Loved, LOVED the glimpse into the past we got of a younger Tack, the man who knew the path the club was on needed to change. To see the division taking place in Chaos…the sides taken and the turn towards something better…one of my favorite parts of Walk Through Fire.

Chaos continues to be one of my favorite series and most anticipated reads and it’s because Kristen Ashley can take something ugly and tragic and make it into a beautiful thing.

An ARC was provided by Forever, via Netgalley. In appreciation I’m giving them an honest review.

Published by Forever - October 27, 2015
Purchase at Amazon
Purchase at Barnes and Noble

No comments:

Post a Comment