Monday, September 26, 2011

Fine Cooking Comfort Food by Fine Cooking Magazine

I do believe I’ve just found a new “go-to” cookbook!

Being someone who loves to cook and try new things, but has no specialized training, I appreciate cookbooks that not only provide the recipes, but also give us tips and tricks for making the dishes turn out as tasty and beautiful as those you find in restaurants. The recipes collected in Fine Cooking Comfort Food: 200 Recipes for Soups, Stews, Casseroles & More are for the home cook who wants to bring something special to the table without having to take lessons or spend a lot of time fussing over procedures and techniques. Most of the ingredients are readily available in your grocery store and along with the easy to follow instructions and the absolutely mouthwatering pictures, you’re sure to create dishes that will impress your family and friends without making you a wreck before you even get them to the table.

With basics like Tomato Soup and French Farmer’s Soup to the more exotic recipes like Thai Hot and Sour Shrimp Soup, I was pleased with the number and wide variety of soup recipes offered. I absolutely love the cooler Fall and Winter months, and even early Spring when there’s still a chill in the air. With the house closed up and a pot of my favorite soup simmering on the stove, nothing says “home” better. The recipes are all so delicious sounding that the only problem I can foresee is deciding which ones to make!

Then I got to the pasta section… Being the starch addict that I am, I had to stop and pay homage to the traditional Baked Macaroni and Cheese recipe on page eighty-one, which I promptly decided to make this week. I had a mental grocery list all made up and was ready to head to the market but then I discovered the Pulled-Pork Macaroni and Cheese with Caramelized Onions and Four Cheeses recipe, and well… Just tell me that doesn’t sound to-die-for!

And the Breakfast and Brunch section? Who doesn’t love starting their day with a hot, fluffy omelet or waffles drenched in syrup? What a wonderful assortment of easy to make, sure to become favorites recipes.

Well, I could go on and on, but if you’re not convinced by now, there’s just no hope for you.  So just go on with your silly self and head to McDonald’s where they’ve got a  piece of deep fried cardboard on a stale bun with your name on it. The rest of us will be planning our meals around the recipes found in this book. Soups, stews, casseroles, sandwiches and much, much more – yes, like I said, I do believe I’ve found a new “go-to” cookbook!

This ebook was provided to me by netgalley.com in behalf of Taunton Press. This had no influence on my rating or review.

No comments:

Post a Comment