Monday, September 5, 2011

Junior's Dessert Cookbook


















I’ll just start by saying that I consider myself a fairly good cook – when I don’t have to follow instructions, that is. With a pinch of this and a dash of that I can do meats, poultry, casseroles, soups and stews, and they almost always turn out great! But when it comes to making desserts, all bets are off! The best I can hope for is to make a Betty Crocker cake from the box and not burn it, but even that’s a crap shoot! But, I’m a big fan of Junior’s Cheesecakes and when I saw this book I decided I’d give it a shot. What did I have to lose, right?

After perusing the index, my daughter and I decided to try the Happy Birthday Cake and the Lemon Meringue Tartlets. The cake was less intimidating than the tarlets, mostly because of the meringue, but that’s a “me” thing and has nothing to do with the recipe itself. Both desserts turned out great and I’m feeling inclined to take up cake decorating now because the cake was so delicious that I’d love to make and serve it for birthday parties, but I’d want it to look as amazing as it tastes.

Next, we’re planning to try the Grandma’s Recipe Lemon Loaf and the Famous Fresh Strawberry Shortcake with Strawberry Sauce. And after that, if I’m still able to fit through the front door, I might just go to the market and get the ingredients to try my hand at making a cheesecake, too!

So, if you’re like me and don’t feel overly confident in the dessert baking department, you might want to give this book a try. These recipes are so much easier than I had thought they would be and if I can make a dessert from scratch and have people raving over it, so can you!

No comments:

Post a Comment