Monday, April 14, 2014

Skies of Gold (The Ether Chronicles) by Zoe Archer


Description…
Two Lonely Hearts…

Kalindi MacNeil survived the devastating enemy airship attack that obliterated Liverpool, but even her engineering skills can’t seem to repair her broken heart. Seeking to put her life back together, Kali retreats to a desolate, deserted island—only to discover she’s not alone. Captain Fletcher Adams, an elite man/machine hybrid, a Man O’ War, crashed his battle-damaged airship into this deserted island after Liverpool, never expecting to survive the wreck. But survive he did.

One Desire…

Believing he is nothing but a living weapon, Fletcher is wary of his new-found companion—a pretty, damaged, but determined young woman. Together they are stranded on the deserted island, and it is only a matter of time until desire gets the best of both of them. Soon Kali and Fletcher find they may be just what the other needed. But a danger from beyond the island puts them to the test. Will it rip them apart or bond their hearts forever?

********* 


"Sodding damn. She'd ruined his perfect loneliness."

I’m not a huge fan of science fiction, not real big on fantasy, either… but Steampunk, when done right, really turns my crank! And make no mistake about it, Zoë Archer does Steampunk right.

My review…

Skies of Gold is the fifth book in The Ether Chronicles series. I’ve had this book sitting on my Kindle for almost a year, but because of my affliction with MR BIOS – Must Read Books In Order Syndrome – I kept putting it off until another of my afflictions – MR ABE – Must Read All Books Eventually – made it so I couldn’t put it off any longer.

I’ve been a fan of Zoë Archer’s storytelling for some time now, but honestly, Skies of Gold might just be my favorite story. There’s something so compelling about this world she’s created, something so plausible even in its implausibility. And it’s not just the story she’s telling, it’s the characters who are living the story - Kali and Fletcher are both people I came to care about. Their honor and integrity, their strengths as well as their vulnerabilities – everything about them drew me in and made me love them.

The bottom line…

I really am sorry I waited so long to read this! Skies of Gold is such a fun, romantic, exciting, passionate story. It’s sexy but not toooo sexy, with the real appeal and entertainment here being found in the story itself and in the amazing Kali and Fletcher. As I said, when Steampunk is done right, it ROCKS, and I’ll definitely be reading more of The Ether Chronicles.

Note... I can, without hesitation, say that Skies of Gold can be read out of order, and even works very well as a stand-alone novel.

An eARC of this story was provided by Avon Books via Edelweiss. In return I’m providing them with an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment