Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Highlander Most Wanted by Maya Banks




In Highlander Most Wanted, a reclusive woman content to live in the shadows shows a Highland warrior the true meaning of love.

Genevieve McInnes is locked behind the fortified walls of McHugh Keep, captive of a cruel laird who takes great pleasure in ruining her for any other man. Yet when Bowen Montgomery storms the gates on a mission of clan warfare, Genevieve finds that her spirit is bent but not broken. Still, her path toward freedom remains uncertain. Unable to bear the shame of returning to a family that believes her dead or to abandon others at the keep to an imposing new laird, Genevieve opts for the peaceful life of an abbess. But Bowen’s rugged sensuality stirs something deep inside her that longs to be awakened by his patient, gentle caress—something warm, wicked, and tempting.

Bowen seizes his enemy’s keep, unprepared for the brooding and reclusive woman who captures his heart. He’s enchanted by her fierce determination, her unusual beauty, and her quiet, unfailing strength. But wooing her will take more than a seasoned seducer’s skill. For loving Genevieve, he discovers, means giving her back the freedom that was stolen from her—even if it means losing her forever.
 *****

Highlander Most Wanted is the second book in the Montgomerys and Armstrongs series. It picks up right on the heels of the first book, Never Seduce a Scot, and while I truly enjoyed that story, I loved this one!
This is one of those rare stories that truly is the perfect blend of romance and passion, despair and hope, trials and triumphs. It's the story of a woman whose world has been turned upside down, her heart and soul destroyed by a man so despicable, there's no doubt that he truly is evil. And the most heartbreaking trial of the story is also one of its triumphs, but I won't go into detail because I'd be giving away too much, and I wont deny you the experience of learning it for yourself. But, I will say that there were times I despised Genevieve for the same reasons I ached for her. This woman so hated, so scorned and mistreated by the McHugh clan is one of my favorite historical romance heroines ever, because despite her year in hell, they never broke her, they only made her stronger.

There were a few times I was sure I'd have to reach through the pages and throttle Bowen Montgomery! Stubborn, so devoted to his clan that I wanted to kick his man bits because I was sure he was too proud, too blind to see the truth right in front of his face... and then he'd stop, think, and realize that not everything is always as it seems. Honorable, compassionate, strong and sexy as sin, Bowen is a hero worthy of a woman like Genevieve.

The bottom line: I really can't say enough good things about Highlander Most Wanted. It's an exciting, sexy, poignant story about never giving up, never losing hope, and never turning your back on love because, in the end, love is all that matters.

My sincerest thanks to Netgalley and Ballantine Books for allowing me a copy of this book in return for an honest review. It was such a pleasure, start to finish.
This is a graphic I put together after reading this story, but knowing I had to wait to post the review. My heart was so filled with emotions that I created a heart made of the words this story is about. I was incredibly flattered - and honored - when Ms. Banks contacted me asking if she could add it to her website. It means so much to me that it meant that much to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment