Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Desire Unchained by Larissa Ione

There were so many things to love about this book! Desire Unchained is the second installment of the series and was every bit as exciting as the first, and drew me deeper into the world of Demonica. I loved the character development, the world building, the angst, the heartache, the hope…

And while I did enjoy seeing Shade and Runa’s relationship grow from one of anger, bitterness and suspicion into one of joy, devotion and trust, I most loved learning more about Wraith. I despised him in Pleasure Unbound and while I felt the same way about him for most of this book, by the end my heart was breaking for him. I love it when an author can make me go from one extreme to another in the way I feel about a character. I’m very much looking forward to his story now! And Kynan and Gem… what a tender and heartbreaking story theirs is. I’m quite anxious to see how things work out for them.

As I said, there was so much to enjoy about Desire Unchained, but what I didn’t like about this story will probably raise some eyebrows, but here goes:

‘***SPOILER****

It bothered me the way Shade’s sexual “nature” and BDSM was portrayed. Now, I know that BDSM isn’t everyone’s cuppa, and I get that, but normally in books like this, BDSM would be something of a lifestyle choice. Something enjoyed by the hero and heroine. But that wasn’t the case here, and to take something that was sexually such a big part of the story, and make it something that Shade hated, not only seemed off to me, it seemed… wrong. I understand that he hated that part of his “nature,” and said so repeatedly, and yet was compelled to give women what they wanted, no matter how dark that was… and well, that just didn’t set well with me. I didn’t find it hot, didn’t find it sexy, it was just… uncomfortable and disappointing in the way it was portrayed. I can’t be more specific than that, it’s just the way it made me feel.
***END SPOILER***

The bottom line – I really enjoyed this book. I think the Demonica series is a great one, with amazing characters and a unique, exciting world. As I said, I’m really looking forward to the next book, Passion Unleashed, Wraith’s story.


4.5/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment