Thursday, November 18, 2010

Pursuit by Elizabeth Jennings

I sure do love a wounded hero!

I borrowed this book from a friend, and feeling badly that it was taking me so long to get to it, I almost returned it, unread. I’m very pleased that I decided, instead, to put other things aside and spend some time with Matthew Sanders, an amazing alpha hero, and Charlotte Court, a strong, independent heroine, because this story was well worth the time invested in reading it.

I’ve read books Lisa Marie Rice, who also writes as Elizabeth Jennings, and really enjoyed them. I could see and feel a slight difference between the writing styles, which really intrigued me because I just assumed that an author, no matter what name they wrote under, would still write the same way. But I found that Pursuit, while still a good read, was much more intense in its character roles. What I mean to say is that the villains in this book were over the top sick in the head and some of the things they did made my stomach churn. While there weren’t many such instances, I think it’s important to point this out for those who would prefer not to read about what sick, greedy, evil men are capable of.

Robert Haines has been working for Charlotte Court’s father for some time, and makes quite a healthy salary, but as is often the case, healthy just isn’t good enough. He’d tried all the usual ways to move himself up the pay scale – making himself indispensible, wooing the heiress daughter of the Court empire’s owner, murdering said owner and framing said daughter – but nothing is going his way. Realizing that he’s going to have to take drastic measures, he hires a hit man to dispose of Charlotte because time is running out and he needs this all tidied up if he hopes to win a Pentagon contract and earn a few billion big ones.

Named after the gun, Barrett has the reputation of being the best hit-man in the business. His list of satisfied clients goes on and on and includes some really big names. Of course, he isn’t the kind of man you’d find listed in the Yellow Pages under Assassins ‘R Us but still, with such impeccable references via word of mouth, Barrett could ask for – and get – huge dollar amounts for his services. He’s good at what he does - dealing in death, and has no doubt he’ll find his target. Charlotte who, realizing she’s been set up for her father’s murder, is on the run and Barrett has no qualms about doing whatever he has to do to find her. Between Barrett and Haines, I’ve read some of the more disturbing scenes I’ve come across in any book.

The 'framed for murder/on the run' storyline isn't terribly original, but still, it was well written, given enough twists and turns to keep it interesting and exciting. There were a couple of eye rolling moments, but overall the story was great!

I really loved the way the relationship developed between Matt and Charlotte. Matt was definitely alpha, and yet, he knew how to control his intensity and those made for some very interesting moments. I came to respect him as not only a protector, but a caring, honorable man. He knew when to give Charlotte her space and when to demand her compliance. He needed to watch over her, to keep her safe, because her life and his heart depended on it.

Charlotte had grown up quite wealthy, but she wasn’t spoiled, and didn’t take that wealth for granted. She knew the importance of helping others, and she was genuinely a kind, caring, generous person. The thing I think I really liked most about her was that, while she was strong and independent, intelligent and very cautious, she wasn’t a “too stupid to live” heroine. She knew when she needed help and accepted it. This made Charlotte an interesting, exciting and totally believable character.

The bottom line, if you’re looking for a suspenseful, romantic, sexy read, check out Pursuit. It might just be what you’re looking for.

3.5/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment