Saturday, January 2, 2016

The Texan's Wager (Wife Lottery #1) by Jodi Thomas

Blurb...

Thrown off a wagon train with two other women and trying to avoid jail for a murder they committed, Bailee Moore agrees to enter a "wife lottery"--a ploy concocted by the Cedar Point sheriff to secure wives for the men in the small Texas town.

For the sensible Bailee, however, marrying Carter McKoy is like exchanging one life sentence for another--especially since her new husband hasn't even seen fit to utter a single word in her presence. But still, she can't help thinking that something about this strong, silent farmer could be the key to leaving her troubled past behind...and making a worthy wager with her heart.



"Be my wife, all my life."

That’s all that Carter McKoy asked of Bailee Moore, the woman who would become his wife if he won the Wife Lottery. That wasn’t too much to hope for, was it? And in truth, he didn’t even expect his name to be chosen. After all, there were probably 40 men waiting, hoping to be one of only three names drawn in the lottery, and Carter’s life had been anything but lucky. So why expect that to change now? Well, much to his surprise - and dismay, things were about to start looking up. And I thank Sheriff Riley for his part in that.

I’ve come to realize that if I don’t connect with the hero, if I don’t become invested in him as a person, and if I don’t feel like he’s overcome some… some… something in his life, the story just won't make it to "keeper". The poor heroine could go through hell and back and it won’t mean much to me unless the hero is amazing and has done the same. Well, dear readers of my review, I assure you - Carter is a keeper and so is his story.

The Texan’s Wager is a fast paced, comfortable read – easy, but not dumbed down. It isn’t a deep, dark tale, but it's one of the most poignant stories I’ve ever had the good fortune to come across. The Texan's Wager is a really sweet story with the key ingredients that still, after years have passed since reading it, give me fond remembrances of a beautiful happily ever after.

The bottom line:

Tormented hero – Check!
Great heroine – Check!
Believable, gut wrenching and heartwarming story – Check!
A happily ever after with a heroine worthy of the hero and vice versa - Check!

I wish I could tell all there is to know about Carter, but to do so would take too much away from the story, because his past is told in small bits and pieces beginning with his very sad childhood right up to the present time. But I will say that this man, this Carter McKoy who very seldom talks, speaks volumes with this actions and he now holds a place of honor on my Top Heroes shelf.

Click here to purchase The Texan's Wager at Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment